Thursday, April 10, 2008

7. Go Ye into All the World

A Christmas and missionary thought in the December 1975 issue of the Cleverly Newsletter, as well as a report on my brother Dale's return from a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Brazil.

- I -

Christmas is a giving time. And among the greatest gifts ever given was the birth and life and atoning sacrifice of the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ.

Those of us who know the true meaning of Christmas have an obligation to give that same light and knowledge to a darkening, dying world. The Savior said to His ancient apostles: “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15).

Our modern-day prophet-leader has made it clear that this same injunction applies to us today. What greater gift could we give this coming year than the gospel of Jesus Christ. How better could we spread the joy of the angels’ song: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men” (Luke 2:14).

- II -

Bolivia has been described my many as the armpit of South America. From what I have heard that may be true. It is a poor and backward country even by South American standards. But to some Bolivia is a beloved land. For example, President Spencer W. Kimball gives us this descriptive look at Bolivia:

“I remember again going into Bolivia to a high plateau on which the airport is built in La Paz. Down the long, winding road that lead from the high plateau to the little valley below in which the rather large city of La Paz is located, there were lines of Indian women. They were all dressed substantially the same.

“On one of our visits we learned that the president of the nation was to appear in the small plaza in the heart of town. We found we were not the only interested people, for the little Indian women like ‘peas in a pod’ had assembled on the benches of the little public square. They sat in rows, each with a little brown derby hat, all the same. And medium short full dresses, all the same. And shawls over their shoulders, all the same. And from above they looked like that many hundreds of brown eggs in cartons, all the same. I see them now, small of stature, uniform in size and build and dress, curious. And I think they were unconsciously hungering and thirsting for something they did not know. . . . They needed the gospel, the enlightening and progressing gospel of Jesus Christ.

“In one of the magazines was a picture of one of these women and someone had put some words into her mouth, and she was saying to the missionary who was trying to explain to her Jesus Christ, the Lord:

“For me? You say it was for me
The Son of God came down to earth,
Born just as any Indian babe,
Then, bundled up, was laid upon the hay—
How could it be? How could it be?
Where is he now? Does he live far away?
Show the trail! Please tell me more of him.
How I should like to see him! Yet I’m old:
I cannot walk the trails as once I could;
And mountain paths are steep.

“So if I went, I’d have to travel slow.
Would you go with me, if I were to go?
‘Come unto me!’ Those words included me?
He calls for ME? You’re SURE he calls for me?
Would he receive ME, if I came to him?
He CARES for me? You say he cares for ME!
Ah, then, I’ll come—my heart cries out for him!
Oh, that I might have known him long ago,
When I was wee.
To think I almost missed him! And he came for ME!”
(Regional Representatives’ seminar, 3 Apr. 1975)

That’s an appropriate message at this Christmas time of year. Not only does He care for the Lamanite woman in Bolivia, but for each of us wherever we are or whatever we are doing. For we hear the voice of the Lord saying, “Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.

“For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men, and there is none to escape; and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated” (D&C 1:1–2).

And that’s why Dale spent two years laboring in Bolivia.

The final letter we received from Dale in Bolivia summed up his mission: “I really love Bolivia and its beautiful people! I’ve had a lot of choice experiences here and when I leave, part of my heart will stay. [But] I know that no matter where I’m at, the Lord’s work will roll on. I’m just thankful for the opportunity I’ve had to be a part of His great work! These have been the tryingest, hardest, most joyful two years thus far in my life.”

No comments: